Volunteer & Employment
Job Title: Transition to Community Living (TCL) Program Community Inclusion Specialist: In-Reach
Reports to: Director of Programs
Location: This position may serve consumers beyond the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill) region of North Carolina and will require significant travel. Working remotely is an option, however under ordinary circumstances, the staff member will be expected to come to the Alliance of Disability Advocates office in Raleigh, NC at least twice a month.
Alliance of Disability Advocates is a Center for Independent Living that works with people with disabilities, so they live independently in a barrier free community of their choice. Our core values include self-direction, consumer control and the dignity of risk. These principles encompass every aspect of our work.
The “Community Inclusion Specialist: In-Reach” for the Transition to Community Living Program is responsible for helping consumers transition from institutional-based care to community-based living.
Life experience with a disability (including mental illness) is highly preferred. Other qualifications include, demonstrated independent living and community inclusion skills in their own life, proficient communication skills, experience in disability advocacy, proficient public etiquette, and effective leadership qualities.
1. Ability to travel.
2. Ability to interact with people with disabilities where they live, work, or go to school.
3. Ability to communicate effectively, expressively, and in writing.
1. Knowledge of disability information and referral sources.
2. Provide the 5 Independent Living core services and other services as requested.
3. Complete intakes and other required assessments with consumers.
4. Develop and maintain consumer records on online database.
5. Develop and sustain relationships with community resources and groups that will develop welcoming communities.
6. Respond to environmental barriers (housing, transportation, access, etc.).
7. Provide peer support individually or in a group.
8. Keep accurate time and records on designated agency platforms.
9. Work efficiently and effectively with other employees at ADA.
10. Create an individualized training plan to meet personal development goals.
ADA has a generous benefits package which includes: 100% employer paid health, vision, and dental coverage as well as an opportunity to participate in a flexible spending plan.
Interested individuals must submit their resume and a cover letter describing their personal connection and work history related to working with people with disabilities, including individuals with mental health needs. This experience is a huge factor in filling this position. Please send resumes and cover letters to Sydney Breslow (email@example.com) and Corey McKittrick (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Anyone who would like to volunteer for Alliance programs or adult and community education, please fill out this form: